Sunday, August 22, 2010

Arizona Is Getting Hit From Within


My sister Facebook posted the following news article from Glossynews.com. Native American leaders are putting pressure on the Lawmakers of Arizona to repeal the recent immigration law that has brought national attention to Arizona. From civil protests to individual US States, such as California, trying to find ways to pressure AZ lawmakers into rethinking the Iaw that allows law enforcement to racially profile under certain circumstances, people all over the United State are debating the merits of the law.

Click here to read the article on Glossynews.com.

So what do you think about Native American leaders getting involved in this controversy, even though a Federal Judge recently blocked many controversial aspects of the law? Please comment below and let me know how your mind bends around this subject.

UPDATE:  9/10/2010 So, Glossynews is a parody site.  I was so sucked into the hype that I didn't notice.  But, that doesn't change the fact that this is a controversial issue.  It's so controversial that this article sounded real.  Interesting thought to wrap your mind around.....
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. I loved that I found this article because I have been saying the exact same thing since the bill was passed. When I bring it up in conversation generally the consensus was "Well we are American and they are here illegally". To that I say hogwash. Prior to the 1960 besides setting up anti-Asian mentalities American's borders were open. So let us fast forward to today. There are Mexican families who have been in the states probably 50-60 years who were "legal" when they arrived and all of a sudden they are "illegal"?
    Also, had the Natives treated Christopher Columbus's people the way current Americans are treating Mexicans none of us would exist.
    Furthermore, the real question is why are Mexican's being targeted? There are "illegals" here from virtually every country in the world. I am done ranting. Suffice it to say this topic incites me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above post does not even take into consideration the horrific institutions which are detention facilities. There was a case in Washington state where a young man served this country as a soldier for 8 years. Completed a combat tour in Iraq and after his service was arrested and locked in a detention facility for almost a year. The man kept telling the authorities he was a citizen to no avail. Eventually, his family found him (he was unable to contact them) and got him out. But a year of his life is gone and he will always remember the country he fought for, put his life in jeopardy for, failed him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a proponent of state rights, I understand the drastic messures the lawmakers of Arizona are taking. Sometimes we too narrow minded in our thinking and refuse to see the big picture of this decision. It is not about racial profiling but protecting the people of the state of Arizona from violent drug traficking to which our federal government has failed to address. Our government would rather appease the government of Mexico for diplomatic reasons than protect its own people...White, Black, Native American, Asian American, and Mexican American. Imagine your ranch being taken over, you and your family tied up at gun point and threatened while your home is being ransacked...you're not thinking "racial profiling" you are thinking where is my government that is supposed to be protecting me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say, "You go, Chief Standing Wolf!" As for what Poet wrote...I did not know our borders were open prior to 1960 but then again, I was always terrible at history. That's a new thing I learned...interesting...This whole Arizona thing makes my blood boil. I would like to remove Arizona from our 50 States and settle for 49.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is racial profiling though. Every race traffics drugs, right now the focus is just on Mexicans.

    ReplyDelete