Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ines Sainz, Was It Provoked?

Yes folks, I'm choosing another controversial subject.  But, this topic doesn't have to do with politics, global warming or how long it's taking me to replace my one pack with a six in the gym.  This is the story of a woman who is a former Miss Universe contestant with the matching body.  This is also the story of a woman who is a sports reporter.  And, this is the story of how choices can result in negative reactions.  I ran across this topic while watching SportCenter last night.  You can read the story at CBS News.com.

Ines Sainz, a reporter for Mexico's TV Azteca, was at the NY Jets' practice last week covering Mark Sanchez.  During her time at the training facility, she  was embarrassed by the comments and actions of players and even members of the coaching staff.  Supposedly there was unwanted attention from players, such as catcalls and whistles, while she was in the locker room interviewing Sanchez.  This story broke when Sainz posted her discomfort on on Twitter.  If you'd like to hear Ines tell story her story you can watch her interview with Joy Behar on HLN and her ESPN interview here.  (I highly suggest watching both.)


Before you bend your mind around my reaction, I want to clarify something important.  I've purposely included many photos of Ines Sainz in this post,  and not because visual aids are cool.  I've included the photos for a very specific reason:  These are all photos of Ines Sainz AT WORK!  Yes, in every single photo on this page, Ines Sainz is representing Azteca TV as a reporter covering sports. 











So how did this story end up on the Winny Mindbender page?  Simple. Ines' reaction to this mess has earned Winny's attention.  She responded to HLN's Joy Behar when asked about being perceived as sexy, "I don't believe my dress is the point of the discussion here."  What?  Huh?  You walk into an NFL locker room, dressed like THAT and don't think it's pertinent to the disucssion?  I know, I can't leave it at that, because some  reading this may think that I'm condoning the bahavior of the Jets' players and coaches.  I think the guys that behaved inappropriately by whistling and making lewd comments are boys with little self-control and easily influenced by peer pressure.  But I digress.  (I don't want to get distracted by talking about how we men make ourselves look silly.)  What I want to focus on today, what I'm trying to communicate is, I think people (men and women) shouldn't be surprised by the reactions they receive based on their wardrobe choices. 

Based on the photos I found while researching this post and by her own admission, Ines Sainz has decided to dress in a sexy manner while working as a reporter.  That's her choice.  I assume she conforms to TV Azteca's dress code guidelines.  She and her employer, I'm sure, have their reasons for her sexy demeanor.  (I'll say it...RATINGS!!)  I mean, c'mon, she was a Miss Universe contestant and model.  She's described as one of sexiest TV reporters in the world according to FHM magazine.  There's no way she's not aware of her beauty and how to use it.  So, when she receives unwanted attention based on her wardrobe choices, in my opinion, no one should be surprised.  More importantly, I think her choice of dress are very influential and do provoke responses.  If she's choosing to dress this way on camera, then she must expect to provoke some type of response.  I just think this isn't the response she wanted. 

IMPORTANT NOTE:  No one actually touched or assualted Ines Sainz.  The worst behavior and comments occurred in the locker room where players were changing (yes, nude).  By her admission, she was embarrassed, not offended.  The Jets and NFL investigations were not initiated by Sainz.  Again, I'm not condoning the actions of the Jets coaches and players.

For me, it all boils down to this:  If you don't want to risk negative reactions at work, don't wear skintight pants to work.  Sainz alluded to her 'style of dress' when interviewing with Behar.  Fine.  That's your choice.  But, don't try to sell me on the fact that how you dress doesn't influence how people react to you, even if it is negative and inappropriate.  I mean, isn't that why we painstakinglychoose our style of dress in the first place?  

If you want people to respect your professionalism, then dress as a professional.  It's just dang hard to feel sorry for you when you're wearing a see through top and I can see your bra like the picture above.  Please don't act innocent when I am hard pressed to find a photo or video of you that doesn't have a body part exposed, your midriff showing, or skintight clothing while working in your capacity as a reporter.  There are people out there who have little respect for others and will act inappropriately.  There are men who will say inappropriate things to a woman who's dressed in a sexy manner.  There are women who will say negative things about other women who dress like Ines Sainz.  (And if you didn't know, you do now.)  Let me put it this way, if I were making a business presentation to a new client, I wouldn't wear my dancing shoes and silver chain with my chest hair showing.  I'm going to put on my best suit, comb what little hair I have, and make sure I look like a professional.  Now if I did happen to wear my club clothes and the potential client made a negative judgement, based on my choice of dress, then I wouldn't be surprised.  Because that is what I'm putting out into the world.  And on THIS Earth, what we wear ALWAYS matters.  Would you wear a bikini to a job interview for a position that had nothing to do with pools, lakes, rivers or oceans?  I didn't think so.  Look, if you wear your club clothes at work, you're probably going to receive the same response at 2pm as you do at 1am. 

Should people make judgements based on the way someone is dressed?  Absolutely not.  Do people make judgements?  Yes they do.  As a result, don't be in denial about negative reactions based on wardrobe choices. 

That's my take on it.  What's yours?  Leave a comment with your point of view.


Photo Credits:
http://nyc.3432.voxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Ines-Sainz.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Fwoi8Odg2yY/0.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2700/4165478440_01997ef22b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3111/3240841794_788ee53d99.jpg?v=0

1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya Winny...I don't blame the players at all...she should have known better!! She's close to camel toe in that bra pic!! LOL!! ~ Blake

    ReplyDelete